Job Fair = semi-success

So I just finished my job fair experience. I was overwhelming at first. All the elevators were packed, and the atmosphere felt so competitive. I've never seen so many 20-year-olds in suits before. Out of the 120 tables, here's everyone I talked to, what they're about, and how things went:

-Citizen Schools: Teaching fellow program. Lots of independence. Definitely a good match.
-City Year: 10-month public service in schools. Compensation = food stamps. I am over qualified.
-Deloitte: Only internships for seniors right now. I missed the job boat. It's a stretch.
-Institute of International Education: Programs range from Fulbright to grad research. A bit of name dropping occurred. Thanks Bill. Good fit. I'll follow up.
-localbacon: Career development website. Also a stretch for me. But I thought I clicked with the dudes at the table. If I can think of a new name for their website, I will definitely apply.
-NYC Teaching Fellows: I asked what the main difference was between Teaching Fellows and TFA. I think it struck a chord with the recruiter. I wasn't feeling it. I will probably not apply.
-Revolution Prep: Sounds like they're looking for someone with teaching experience, right? Wrong. Marketing. Not for me.
-Teach For America: I talked to the campus recruiter about changing my site preferences. I'm seriously considering adding LA, SF, and NOLA to my list.
-The Doe Fund: They're looking for MSWs. Nothing that starts with a B.
-Uncommon Schools: I already have a phone interview tomorrow. Bam.

It's always really awkward talking to recruiters, and I wonder if I am actually making an impression. And when I don't connect with the person, it makes it that much harder to start a conversation with the next person. At any rate, I think I got a lot of good experience at putting myself out there and selling myself, and I have a lot of thank you e-mails to write. Hopefully, I'll hear back, and maybe even get a couple of interviews.

0 comments:

Post a Comment