First day at Gulf Coast Fund (GCF)

What a day gang! I went in for my first day at GCF... it was basically a training on what GCF does, how it's related to RPA (Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors), what I'm expected to do, and what software I'll be working with.

Highlights:
-I learned a lot about RPA. RPA uses a very unique model where it sort of houses it's separate "special projects" in house. RPA is the fiscal sponsor of GCF, but GCF is still a very independent agency, responsible for its own fundraising, decision-making, operations, and grant giving.
-I learned a lot about the challenges facing not-for-profits today... the most prominent being the ever-growing problem of sustainability. This is particularly relevant for GCF, as it suffers from major "Katrina fatigue" - that is, how people have almost forgotten that Katrina survivors are still struggling to get back on their feet.
-And I learned that Nancy Lublin's "Not-for-profit management" class has prepared me extremely well for working in this field. I was able to talk to my supervisor and her colleagues about a lot of things that I don't think they expected me to know about: like the difference between a 501(c)3 and 501(c)4, or about different parts of IRS Form 990. Thanks Nancy!

It was a really cool first day, and I really appreciate that my supervisor spent the whole day with us (the other intern is a junior from Hofstra University)... and she's SO nice and really young.

I also applied for the Funded Internship Award from Wasserman, and I really hope I get it! I need it to LIVE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment