Interview @ Gulf Coast Fund

I just interviewed for an internship at Gulf Coast Fund, which is a division of the Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. Sounds fancy, right? Well it kind of is! I was intimidated when I first walked in for the interview, because the office was so nice! There was gold and marble everywhere, they owned the whole floor of the building, and they asked me if I wanted coffee!

However, once I met the team that worked at the Gulf Coast Fund, I felt much more relaxed. The two women who interviewed me (one was a former intern, and the other phoned in from Connecticut) were both really friendly. They seemed like they genuinely wanted to get to know me, and asked me a LOT of questions about my resume... they also told me to never remove 'YouTube' as one of my listed interests.

I also learned a lot more about how the Gulf Coast Fund, and foundations in general, work. Basically, here's what happens: 1) Not-for-profit organizations submit a grant to the foundation... 2) The people who work at the foundation process the grant, and figure out if the organization deserves/needs the grant... 3) If they give the green light, the advisory board reviews the recommendation, and if the board approves, then the organizations gets the grant!

I'll hear back around Friday, and I'll let you know what happens. Tomorrow is my first day at Do Something, but for right now... AVATAR!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment