Alternative Breaks: Mobile, Alabama

Spring break is well underway, and while it's not as relaxing as I would have hoped, it's definitely a much needed break from NYC. I arrived in Alabama yesterday... after a 2 day drive with 11 other volunteers. We are down in Mobile to work with Habitat for Humanity to support the continual Katrina relief effort.

We're sleeping in 5555 Moffett Road Baptist Church, driving around in two maroon minivans, and shopping at Wal-Mart A LOT. This morning, we lent our hands at the Boys and Girls club in Theodore, AL, and then we met up with a couple of old folks who took us to an alligator reserve in Mississippi. I held one of these:
Tomorrow will be our first day on our Habitat for Humanity work site (they only work Tues-Sat). I'm really excited to get to work, and I really like our group. I'm looking forward to starting on some real work, but I am NOT looking forward to any more of the food. I already ate at an O'Charley's and a Waffle House, and I do not want to venture into the world of Sonic or Cracker Barrel. I just lowered my cholesterol from 220 to 168, and I don't want to have to do that again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment